Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cooking for One

A lot has happened since my last post. My boyfriend returned from his (very) long deployment in Africa, I've decided to move out of my current apartment, my brief considerations of a vegetarian lifestyle have been long abandoned. I'll tell you what hasn't been happening much since my last post: cooking. Despite my love of food and aspirations to become a better chef, I just ran out of patience with my roommates. Their refusal to help around the apartment wore me down, so I finally decided to stop cooking for them. I was also without a car and basically broke for two months which made buying groceries difficult. Thankfully that's behind me now and I've started cooking again, but this time I'm cooking for myself.

Now, I have mixed feelings about cooking for one. In my current situation, I think it's totally justified, but I still consider it a bit selfish at times. Food is something that should be shared, enjoyed in good company and as a chef I take pride in bringing people together with a good meal. Hopefully I'll get that sense of fulfillment in my next apartment. Yep, I'm moving. Some friends of mine were looking for a roommate and in a strange moment of spontaneity from me (I'm generally more cautious) I decide to take them up on the offer. Yes, the rent's slightly higher and yes it's further from my job, but what do I really have to lose? It's the start of a new year and I want to start getting my life together. That means taking chances and making hard choices and going after things that I want. Oh and more cooking. Definitely more cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment